Friends of the Richelieu. A river. A passion.



"Tout cedit pays est fort uny, remply de forests, vignes & noyers. Aucuns Chrestiens n'estoient encores parvenus jusques en cedit lieu, que nous, qui eusmes assez de peine à monter le riviere à la rame. " Samuel de Champlain


"All this region is very level and full of forests, vines and butternut trees. No Christian has ever visited this land and we had all the misery of the world trying to paddle the river upstream." Samuel de Champlain

Sunday, August 23, 2015

My sweet Chickadee


Life is but a Chickadee
sitting on the edge of the birdbath
watching the sun slowly go down
panting, hurting
sitting near the water
waiting for the moment that is sure to come
for every creature
there is a time to live
and a time to let the others live
it is not easy
to realize that moment is coming soon

What can I do for you, Chickadee
but to refresh the water
leave you in peace
I know you are there
breathing hard with all your might
holding on to dear life
Did you crash in a window?
Did a hawk try to get you?
Is it that you are too old?

You must be one of the ones
that I have fed all winter
that I have given water to all summer
it is hard to see you like this
but what more can I do for you, Chickadee?
I can hear the others calling in the garden
do you hear them too?
I promise I will take care of them also
But they will not be you
my sweet little Chickadee...

1 comment:

  1. And I found a young Cottontail lying dead under a crabapple tree this morning. And the crows have come back today, too.

    ReplyDelete