Friends of the Richelieu. A river. A passion.



"Tout cedit pays est fort uny, remply de forests, vignes & noyers. Aucuns Chrestiens n'estoient encores parvenus jusques en cedit lieu, que nous, qui eusmes assez de peine à monter le riviere à la rame. " Samuel de Champlain


"All this region is very level and full of forests, vines and butternut trees. No Christian has ever visited this land and we had all the misery of the world trying to paddle the river upstream." Samuel de Champlain

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Getting ready for snow



There is still no snow in the forecast for the coming week, but I am slowly getting ready for the inevitable.

The Adirondack chair I had put together and finally painted yellow is put away in the garden shed. I noticed the paint is blistering a bit in a few places, so a sanding and touch up job is already waiting for me next spring. I brought in the box containing the other one that was bought at the same time but never put together: that should keep me busy for a part of the winter in the basement extension built back in 2013. There is a door to that room, so I can keep the cats away while the paint is drying. That one will be painted white, I think.

I hung the pine cone wreath on the door of the garden shed just to give me something nice to look at until the snow flies and it already pretties up the whole place.

The outside watering faucets are all shut off so they will not freeze. The rubber pads to protect the wooden back porch from the enameled steel roof ice jams are by the garden shed door, ready to be laid out on the floor under the roof line.

The snow shovels are hanging from the spruce in the back, ready for any surprise snow fall that could spring up on me anytime now.

The electric extension cords are all lined up in the basement on a rack, ready to put up some Christmas lights in my baby conifers: a small cedar next to the garage will help keep that corner of the property gay during the darkest season of the year, and a small Colorado Blue Spruce on the other side of the house will also bear lights helping to show the way down the driveway towards the front door. But I am not in a hurry to hang the lights yet: I like to turn them on only when there is snow on the ground. Otherwise, the whole thing looks much too commercial to my taste.

And so fall lingers on. They say we will have a mild winter. We shall know soon enough.

1 comment:

  1. Going through the aisles at Costco, one year, I just told T in passing that those wood Adirondack chairs looked nice. When I wasn't looking, he took two boxes (they came in kits) and put them in the shopping cart. I was glad that he had decided to build me 2 nice chairs for the garden, but once we were home, I learned that he had bought them for ME to assemble! It took me years to get around to doing one, because I had so many other things to do around the house.

    ReplyDelete