Friends of the Richelieu. A river. A passion.



"Tout cedit pays est fort uny, remply de forests, vignes & noyers. Aucuns Chrestiens n'estoient encores parvenus jusques en cedit lieu, que nous, qui eusmes assez de peine à monter le riviere à la rame. " Samuel de Champlain


"All this region is very level and full of forests, vines and butternut trees. No Christian has ever visited this land and we had all the misery of the world trying to paddle the river upstream." Samuel de Champlain

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Summer Solstice



It is a wonderful time of the year. It is only June, so every morning, I go around in my garden to deadhead the spent flowers of yesterday so that the newly opened ones can shine in all their glory. Only the Lupin I keep the seeds for now, because there is one part of the garden I want them to colonize still, and I will help them with that.

Last night's thunderstorm turned the page to the blistering heat wave, leaving in its wake a cool breeze that whips away those heavy, downbeating temperatures. The birds accept me in their daily lives, taking a sip and a dip in my birdbath, barely a few feet from me doing my crosswords. The frogs hardly move out of the way while I tromp around, arms full of bricks I'm taking out of the basement and using to make a dry path between the back and the side doors and the gardening shed.

The hard rain did what all my careful watering could not do: the spinach and the radishes woke up and took notice, and look much more appetizing this morning. Wonderful lunches are in store for me during the next couple of weeks. The strawberries are sure to appreciate also, and will give me sweet treats enough for the three meals of the day for a while.

The Cedar Waxwing and the Song Sparrows decided they liked my place this year and are sticking around. The Waxwing loves my hair and flies low, wanting to line its nest, probably. The Cottonwood seeds will have to do for now. Papa Sparrow flies from tree to tree, imitating Papa Cardinal, making sure everybody knows this is their place to feed and raise their families this year. Thus, I'm surrounded by their song that even fills up my home too.

It is a wonderful time of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment